One of the common complaints I’ve seen from our frequent readers and many other Nintendo fans is that Nintendo isn’t doing enough to make Mario Kart 8 Deluxe feel different from the version that released on the Wii U. That’s a fair criticism and it’s exactly why Nintendo UK has released the above trailer.
If you’re one of those people who says that there’s not enough changes in this version to warrant a re-purchase, give it a looksee. So far we know that you can change your character and kart while in the online lobby and that the 8 battle arenas have been designed to be actual arenas instead of crappy tracks.
What’s New in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- New Characters – The Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl from Splatoon have made their way into the game, while series favorites like King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr. are featured in the game.
- New Battle Arenas – There are eight all new tracks for Battle mode, which includes game types like Balloon Battle and Bob-omb Blast.
- New Courses – Deluxe also brings us two new courses. Urchin Underpass is Splatoon-inspired, while Battle Stadium gives you a new place to destroy your friends. Some returning courses include Luigi’s Mansion and SNES Battle Course 1.
- New Vehicles – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe brings three new vehicles, two of which are Splatoon-inspired.
- Smart Steering – Smart Steering is a new feature designed to help kids and families with members who have trouble staying on course. Activating the Smart Steering feature for young kids will help them stay on the track even when racing in 200cc mode, making the game more accessible to young racers.
- New Feature – You can also use two items at once in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, helping you set up some awesome combos to take down all your friends.
Mario Kart 8 is slated to release on April 28th and it includes every piece of DLC ever released for the Wii U version of Mario Kart 8, so even if you bought that version but didn’t pick up all the DLC, there’s plenty new here for you to experience.
Mario Kart 8 – $59.99